|The Hampden County Memorial Bridge (circa 1935-45)|
The Hampden County Memorial Bridge is a vital link spanning the Connecticut River between the City of Springfield and the Town of West Springfield.
The magnificent structure was designed by architectural firm Fay, Spofford & Thorndike, in conjunction with Haven & Hoyt, architects, and its construction was contracted to H. P. Converse & Company, builders, on April 3, 1920. Fay, Spofford & Thorndike were retained as architects again in 1996 for the bridge's rebuild, contracted to the construction company, Daniel O'Connell's Sons.
The 1,515 foot-long Memorial Bridge was officially dedicated on August 3, 1922, "to those who had died as pioneers, and soldiers in the Revolutionary, Civil and Foreign Wars."
For more about the Memorial Bridge and the Toll Bridge that preceded it, check out previous EWM posts, Postcards: Hampden County Memorial Bridge and Postcards: The Old Toll Bridge Springfield, Massachusetts.
As always, thanks for stopping by and take care.