Looking northwest toward Court Square. The Hall of Records is the building at the end of the path, the court house (opened in 1874), the building to the left of it, and Springfield Institution for Savings is the building on the far right. (c. 1909)
Looking southwest at Court Square. The First Church (built 1819) is on the far right in the photo, the court house just beyond it, on the church's left. The Court Square theater is across the street from the church and the court house, bordering the park. (c. 1909)
In 1902, the year of the city's golden jubilee, $100,000 was raised in public donations to fund a project extending Court Square to the river, spurred by a donation of $10,000 toward the cause by the estate of the late Tilly Haynes, one of Springfield's most active and valuable citizens. Now, 105 years later, another push for change is being made concerning Court Square, a hope for a revitalization and rebirth of the area - which is indeed the heart of the city, and, like any vital organ, important to look after. (Republican article, Mar. 15, 2007) Let's hope the present has better success with its vision than did the past.
Proposed extension of Court Square, Springfield, Massachusetts. Note the police station (#2) on Court St., across from City Hall. (c. 1902+ ?)
Photo Source 1: American Memory Collection, Library of Congress, Panoramic Photographs, Digital ID: pan.6a06153
Photo Source 2: American Memory Collection, Library of Congress, Panoramic Photographs, Digital ID: pan.6a06160
Map Source 1: American Memory Collection, Library of Congress, American Landscape and Architectural Design, Digital ID: mhsdalad 170043